- 1 Cares before hair transplant
- 2 How should the grafted hair be taken care of after the surgery?
- 3 What attention does a wound in the receiving area require?
- 4 What are the cares of the donor area with the FUSS method?
- 5 If you opt for the FUE technique, how would this donor area be treated?
The care of the grafted hair depends on whether, while the surgical process is extended, the FUSS method is used or, on the contrary, the FUE technique is chosen. It’s true that neither one nor the other procedure requires special monitoring, although it’s advisable to pay a little more attention in case of extracting the follicles with the technique of the strip.
Cares before hair transplant
During the night before surgery, the patient must comply with the following instructions:
- Ingest the antibiotics prescribed by the surgeon, action that must be repeated the next morning and, again, that same night.
- Rest properly and try to sleep the recommended eight hours.
- Avoid a copious dinner.
How should the grafted hair be taken care of after the surgery?
About four hours after the end of the hair implant, when the effect of the anesthesia has already disappeared, it’s common to feel some discomfort and even pain in both the donor area and the recipient, since both will show some swelling.
At the beginning, it is essential to follow directions to care for grafted hair during the shower.
Also, it’s most appropriate that, as soon as the patient is discharged, return to their home to rest and avoid unnecessary efforts during the first 48 hours. In this sense, for the purpose of reducing inflammation, in addition to caring for grafted hair, it’s preferable that, for three nights after the hair graft, patients sleep with the head slightly inclined.
And over the next two weeks?
During the 15 days after a hair implant, the main caring for grafted hair to follow are:
- Stop the consumption of alcoholic drinks three to five days after surgery, as it would slow the formation of scars.
- Suspend any physical exercise that requires a high effort, although other milder routine activities can be resumed.
- Avoid loading excessively heavy objects.
- Avoid direct exposure to the sun, as there could be marks, and sweat would affect the hygiene of the hair and scars.
- Avoid the beach for a month and at least two for swimming pools to protect the skin from salt, dirt and chlorine.
when the effect of the anesthesia has already disappeared, it’s common to feel some discomfort in both the donor area and the recipient.
What attention does a wound in the receiving area require?
- The healing of each hair follicle must be identical to that of a wound, although in miniature. That is to say, a small crust will form which will fall off after drying along with the hair. However, this should not be a cause for concern, since a new one will replace it later.
- During the initial 48, dirt from the resulting tiny white spots will be removed by saline solution.
- Also, in those two days, patients cannot wash their hair either. At the third, and throughout the first week, you will use a special Betadine spray shampoo, without rubbing the receiving area and rinsing with lukewarm water. All of this with extreme precautions and caring for grafted hair.
- Throughout the second week, it’s possible to start using any infant shampoo, while you can start massaging gently the intervened area. The pressure of the water necessary to rinse the scalp from shampoo can also increase gradually.
- The use of dryers in the treated area is strongly discouraged, meticulousness intensified if applied to the donor area, especially when the FUSS method was used, which is the situation that we will analyze in the next section.
Throughout the second week, it’s possible to start using any infant shampoo, while you can start massaging gently the intervened area.
What are the cares of the donor area with the FUSS method?
- When a hair graft surgery is undertaken with the FUSS method, it is necessary to remove the bandages from the donor area within two days of completion. At that time, the wound should be washed thoroughly with water and the soap recommended by the specialist so as not to interfere with the formation of scars.
- The next step will be to rinse the scalp abundantly with lukewarm water. Afterwards, to dry the head, a dryer will be used but keeping a prudent distance in relation to the treated area and making sure that the temperature of the air expelled is not excessively high.
With FUE technique, the grafted hair care is easier, as there are hardly any scars.
- Despite the imperative need to completely clean the scar from crusts and hair, because the initial three days is not allowed to wash the receiving area, the use of the shower head will be discarded, using a container instead to pour water over the head.
- To proceed with the disinfection of the wound, we will resort to an antiseptic such as Betadine, whose administration will use a bandage, always with the greatest possible care.
- The first ten days, the washing and subsequent disinfection of the wound, will be repeated every morning. However, from the fourth and throughout the next two weeks, the option of using an aerosol of regenerating solution is available. After that time, the patient will return to the clinic so that the sutures are eliminated.
If you opt for the FUE technique, how would this donor area be treated?
The care of the resulting wound after a capillary micrografting performed by the FUE method is much simpler than if it had been done with the strip technique. Perhaps your greatest attention is the need to administer a cream with hydrocortisone through gentle massages a couple of times a day, throughout the first fortnight.
When 72 hours have passed since the hair implant ended, the patient's head should be washed every day carefully, using water and neutral soap or, failing that, the aforementioned Betadine shampoo, preferably in a vaporizer.
One of the care of grafted hair with respect to scaling is to use a container to pour the water and thus avoid excessive pressure on the affected area, as could happen if the shower head is used.